Monday, June 30, 2008

in search of my inner farmgirl

Due to the influence of MissViolet and fellow plurkettes, I've decided to go out in search of my inner farmgirl. To explain, the farmgirl movement was started by MaryJane, and focuses on the simpler, home-focused days.

Our first project as part of The Plurkette Hencircle is to introduce yourself and our need to find that inner farmgirl. I'm a 25 year old married grrl, who grew up in the suburbs. However, I grew up amongst an apple tree, blackberry bushes, and several small garden patches. Needless to say, I miss it. I've attempted growing a few herbs from seed, but committed hopeless foliage homicide each time. I also spent a good deal of my childhood at my grandparent's cottage where we learned about hiking, animal tracks, plant identification... all that good stuff. Truth be told, neither the husgeek and I belong in the city. Until we can move to a plot with room to spread we will just have to bring that goodness into our own home.


Here's a short little list of things I'm really interested in doing to further my farmgirlyness: Make jam. Sew an apron. Wear said apron. Bake more bread. Bake muffins from scratch. Grow green onions, garlic, some already herb plants. Disconnect to Reconnect for a FULL weekend. That's just skimming the top right there.

Also, I plan on ordering MaryJane's book tomorrow morning!

15 comments:

Elizabeth Metz said...

I totally hear you on the herbal homicide, chickadee. I have killed a legion of perfectly viable plants in my life. :)

If you're doing some book shopping, check out "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day" on amazon, too -- *fabulous* book on breadmaking, with a really quick and dirty way of making dough ahead of time that makes it *easy*. :)

Anonymous said...

That whole "disconnect to reconnect" thing scares me.

I can so hear you about the black thumb thing. It seems that if things are inside in pots they die, but I do much better with things outside. You'll get there! You have our support!

Iseaulte of the Clews said...

My list of things to do is very similar to yours! It's so nice to "meet" you.

Amby said...

I lived on a farm in Kentucky for the first five years of my life...fond memories, except for the copperheads and rattlesnakes. And ginormous spiders. *shudder*

Amnicon Studio said...

I commit plant homicide when I try to start seeds indoors :-( We just live to close to the big lake for the "zones" to really apply to us.

I, too, would love to disconnect for at least a weekend. Kind of scary though, but I know so much would get done.

Lacey said...

I'm currently on the MOst Wanted List for herbal homicide in my state. Shhhh...hide my secret.

And I have a question, looking at your 101 in 1001, does the oil cleansing dealy work? It seems cool, but I dunno. How did it go for you?

Miranda said...

Lacey - it was very enjoyable! I want to find a lighter oil to use instead of sunflower. It seemed a tingue heavy for my combination skin. I highly recommend trying it though!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you kiddo - we're dying to get out of our apartment and find a place out in the country! Keep trying with the green growing things - it does get better with practice.

Dani said...

Maybe we can share a cell in the plant penitentiary? (did i even spell that right?)

Its so nice to be doing with in a bigger than just us way, isnt it?

Marlana said...

I'm a plant killer, too. I'm hoping to mend my evil ways.

Anonymous said...

I love your list! I want to grow herbs but I don't know where I'd find room to do that.
Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to have my own plants when I was little, but I killed so many I ultimately gave up... maybe it is time to try again.

Vicki said...

I love your list! I'm not a big veggie girl, but could totally get behind some onions/garlic/herbs. Nice to meet you!

Anonymous said...

bread &jam making are on my list as well!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I just made jam & jelly last week before seeing you at Wed. Knitting. Blueberry+Rhubarb jam & Currant Jelly. The artisan bread in 5 minutes a day is an interesting book (used it from the library), but use a bigger bowl than what they call for - my first batch tried to leave town by going over the top of the bowl & down the front of the cabinet....messy.

What herbs do you want starts from? I have a number of nice things in my garden.